Carnegie Library History
- History of the Library -
The Redfield Carnegie Library began as a reading club with members buying books to circulate. The city applied to the Andrew Carnegie Foundation for a $10,000 endowment, which was awarded in March 1902. Carnegie's money enabled the community to erect a majestic red brick building, with tan sandstone foundation, lintels and sills. The architect crowned his design with a domed cupola. The interior has beautiful oak columns and woodwork. Redfield city offices were contained within the library in the early years, the City Auditor serving as Librarian.
In 2008 an addition resembling the size of the original building was completed. Part of the addition includes an elevator and community room. The entire building is now handicap accessible on both levels.
Still providing library service to the citizens of Redfield, the Redfield Carnegie Library has the distinction of being the oldest Carnegie in continuous use as a library in the state and contains over 23,000 volumes.
5 East Fifth Avenue • Redfield South Dakota 57469 • (605) 472-4555 • Carnegie2@hotmail.com